Tips for planning a home and income

A home and income can involve a couple of different scenarios.

Additional income opportunities from your home.

Having a space that you can rent out by the night on air b&b, or alternatively a long term tenant is an option that many are now considering when building their home or undertaking an alteration. The first step is to acertain what you are wanting by considering the following;

  • Are guests likely to stay for the weekend or long term? Putting thought into how long guests will potentially stay will help you establish what should be included within the guest accommodation. Do you need guest kitchen/laundry/lounge? Once you know what facilities you want to provide, this will help ascertain the size (bedroom, studio or separate unit?) Long term tenants will have very different requirements to a weekend visitor.

  • Section size, budget and any council regulations or site covenants will also be key determining factors in establishing the size. Regardless, space should be carefully planned to ensure complete space optimisation. Note that your architectural designer will be able to ascertain any council regulations.

  • How much do you want to interact with your guests? What is your primary motivation? Do you want to entertain overseas guests or prefer to both have your own privacy?

  • Do you want a separate entrance for your guests?. This will give you both a lot more privacy and also assist with noise mitigation.

  • How many additional cars do you want to accommodate? A couple may have a car each? Providing parking for the guests/tenants, as well as additional visitor parking will need to be incorporated into the planning.

  • Are you prepared to entertain with your tenant around? Vise versa, consider you may also want a quiet space outside to read a book whilst your tenant is entertaining or playing music. Consideration when planning separate outside spaces is critical to making this situation work for both parties.

  • How important is noise mitigation? If you like your peace and quiet then careful placement of rooms, bathroom, kitchen is essential. In addition it may be worth considering noise reducing GIB and insulation.

Possible Consent Requirements.

If there are two kitchens then additional consenting and rates fees will apply. Some councils may not even allow two kitchens within the same title.

If it’s essentially going to be two homes with a party wall then the party wall needs to be fire rated. Your architectural designer will be able to inform you of all council regulations pertaining to each council. Contact Jon McAlpine​  |  027 2773233 if you wish to discuss further.

Home Business

The first step is ensuring if both the covenants (if in a subdivision) and the council will allow your particular business to operate from your home.

If your home business complies, the same principles for careful room placement, separate entrance, and noise mitigation should be applied.

Enter your email for further updates.

  • Facebook
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Facebook Icon

Unit 4, 3 Newton Street, Mount Maunganui

Postal:  PO Box 4352 Mount Maunganui 3149

Or Call 0800716129

Contact Us